Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

polishing clear canopy glass

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

polishing clear canopy glass

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:28 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default polishing clear canopy glass

I was installing the rear clear plastic behind the canopy on my F-16 and messed it with canopy glue somehow. tried to clean the mess with water at first then window cleaner but still result is the clear plastic is now blurry showing light scratches.
Is there a way to clean this mess and revive the clear plastic shine?

Thanks for looking.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:35 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by extra 300
I was installing the rear clear plastic behind the canopy on my F-16 and messed it with canopy glue somehow. tried to clean the mess with water at first then window cleaner but still result is the clear plastic is now blurry showing light scratches.

Thanks for looking.
Easy !
Sand the whole area with very fine wet and dry paper, 1000 grade. Then spray with high gloss clear 2 k. Will look better than new !
The following 2 users liked this post by David Gladwin:
Boomerang1 (04-25-2024), extra 300 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:52 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Easy !
Sand the whole area with very fine wet and dry paper, 1000 grade. Then spray with high gloss clear 2 k. Will look better than new !
Thanks for the advice but problem is that this is the fixed clear plastic which has already been glued in place and the "dirty part seem to be from the inside....
Old 04-25-2024, 07:56 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Novus plastic polish. Not sure if you can Amazon it where you live, but a basic kit is available from Amazon for under $15.
https://novuspolish.com/
Old 05-01-2024, 05:14 AM
bandit_av
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extra 300

Thanks for looking.
I had the same problem with my Bandit canopy, Which I bought second hand from someone, and the canopy was full of glue marks, and I was really thinking of ordering a new one
so, carefully I sanded the canopy with #500 water sanding to remove the glue, after that with 800 to softened the sanding squirrels went up to 3M trizac #1500 #2000 # 2500 and in the end again 3M trizac #3000.
after the whole sanding prosses, I use polish cut compound, and in the end soft polish. It took me a lot of time and patience, but in the end the canopy is like new.