Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Let's talk DX18 here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's talk DX18 here!

Not seeing much if any DX18 discussion in here. No one interested?

Got mine yesterday to go with my DX8 and DX7....enhanced and very powerful programming and lots of great features will make this a stellar R/C system and the perfect step up from a DX8.

Any other early adopters?

I am sure some Spektrum haters will chime in with generic negative comments, but I have to say I have had flawless performance from every Spektrum system I have ever owned and operated.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk DX18 here!

Over on RCG there's a busy dedicated DX18 thread with quite a few posts (and an extremely high noise floor).

Andy
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Snowflake6515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second Andy's bit about RCG being active (and the noise floor :-).

I purchased mine and now have seven models programmed (waiting for rain to stop so I can test in the air.)

Coming from a JR12X, the programming was sufficiently different that it was easier to start programming the model as if the bird was new, as opposed to trying to copy parameters from the 12X PC display.

After some help learning about the channel assignments, and other features that obviate the need for lots of mixes, I am happy that the new programming functionality appears better, more flexible, etc.

My most complex model is an eFlite Habu 32 EDF with retracts, switch selectable nosewheel steering sensitivity, and crow (I'm older than dirt and need to slow it down for landings.) :-)

I've experimented with using the X-Plus module (works as advertised) and also with my R1221 JR 12-channel receiver - yes, the two additional channels work; again, as the manual says.

I like the seamless ability to have an 11ms frame rate if you have the RCVR and servos, with fallback to 22ms.

All in all, it appears that this radio should live up to the advanced billing.

Now, if the rain would stop and the field dry out...

Michael
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Over on RCG there's a busy dedicated DX18 thread with quite a few posts (and an extremely high noise floor).

Andy
Been there and seen that......

Just thought it was odd that there was virtually zero discussion about it over here on RCU.

Programmed the first model in last night and will get some test flying on the DX18 this weekend on two or three models before I go crazy and put 20 or 30 models in there....
Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

As soon as the jr users start to realize that ther new comunications protocal is not backwards compatable - they will all find a home a spectrum
DMSS does not support anything but DMSS- nor DSM2 or DSMX . A new Tx will mean all new RX as well.
That is a big hurdle to get over for not a lot of benefit I can see .
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
electricpete

It does cost a little more that 2 DX8s else I would have one and hope that I could work out the programming, especially with a glider function.
Peter
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
AndyKunz

Glider programming is brain-dead simple in the DX18, and nearly impossible in the DX8.

Andy
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Glider programming is brain-dead simple in the DX18, and nearly impossible in the DX8.

Andy
I hope it is simple, the manual only has a page and a half of sailplane-specific information...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

my post from RC groups:

my DX 18 came monday ( i preordered back in early march) i have been reading the manual. i have a DX6i i bought just for my MCPx otherwise i have been a futaba guy my last 20 years in RC. Now i have a couple aircraft running spektrum. I got the DX18 because i wanted to try out the telemetry stuff and no way i am paying $3K for the futaba 18mz.

1. Tx. the right dial doesn't have full range. i realized it when it kept doing the centering peeping sound. then i shook the radio and and it got worse. then started flipping dial, switches, stick... then realized it the dial. went to the calibrate screen and noted with will not give the OK for the right dial. The servo monitor screen confirms no full throws. If you tap the top of the dial, the throw jumps all over the place.

2. (UPDATED: operator error, label not clear, had bind plug in wrong slot) AR9020 Rx. Will not power up or bind right out of the box. The tx will bind with my other spektrum Rx's. (

I will send in after new Tx smell wears off....lol.

R/
Lawrence
LCDR US Navy
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

Andy
I hope it is simple, the manual only has a page and a half of sailplane-specific information...
Kennedy Composites has some information that Sherman Knight did. I'm sure it will help fill in any things missing.

Andy
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: ltdorn1

my post from RC groups:

2. AR9020 Rx. Will not power up or bind right out of the box. The tx will bind with my other spektrum Rx's.

So basically i am NOT impressed at all so far. I was all excited about installing in it in my Pawnee for some test flights on Thursday.

.............:

R/
Lawrence
LCDR US Navy
I initially had the same issue with the initial binding of my 9020. It turns out I had misunderstood the stickers and their channel legends on the top and bottom of the RX. This caused me 10-15 minutes of exploration to figure out the issue.

I initially thought that the channel legend list closest to the pins on that side of the RX was correct. It turns out that the channel legend furtherest away from the pins is correct for that side of the RX.

Mine would not bind or power up until I got it right.

Worth a double check before sending it in
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Thomas B

It looks like Itdorn1 was able to bind his RX after all....it was confusion over the channel labels, as I and others had guessed.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Drinker with a flying problem.

Is the xplus expander necessary or is it possible to use 2 xplus compatible receivers. ie can 2 9020 receivers be linked for 18 channel operation?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 AM
AndyKunz

No, you need the XPLUS expander to get access to the XPLUS channels.

Andy
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
electricpete

Ive spent all my pocket money and bought a DX18, as I am convinced, that it will do all the things I want and can't do with the DX8. Looking at the manual, It seems that everything is done by the flight mode switch, Is that correct. I enjoyed the program for the Radian Pro. In the DX8, but can;t seem to program it on the 18.

How many flight modes do I need?
I probably need Launch and land (glider only no power) How many flight modes and can it be done on a AR.6200
I would like to be able to be able to add speed and thermal How many flight modes and can it be done on a AR.6200
Is it possible to mix flaps with ailerons to increase my roll rate.

If it is possible I would like a hint on switches to use. I know it is an individual thing, but if I have a starting hint I can then change if necessary

Peter
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: electricpete

Ive spent all my pocket money and bought a DX18, as I am convinced, that it will do all the things I want and can't do with the DX8. Looking at the manual, It seems that everything is done by the flight mode switch, Is that correct. I enjoyed the program for the Radian Pro. In the DX8, but can;t seem to program it on the 18.
The FM switch is the first switch on the list of switches available, so you might see that show up on the menus in the manual more. You can use any switch you want for most things, but in glider mode the FM switch seems to be the dominant switch.

How many flight modes do I need?
It depends on the model. Most airplanes are fine with 1. With a glider you can have up to 10. In glider mode there are some things that are FM dependent.

I probably need Launch and land (glider only no power) How many flight modes and can it be done on a AR.6200
The receiver doesn't matter. Most guys will set up for Launch, Cruise and Land. Others will add Thermal and/or Speed. Many will have an A/B setting so that there is one set for a windy day and another for a calm day, and all they have to do is flip a switch to select which one. BTW, that's common enough that we call the default FM's the A and B sets (check the names).

I would like to be able to be able to add speed and thermal How many flight modes and can it be done on a AR.6200
Yes, it's easy to do that, and the AR6200 will be more than happy to oblige you.

Is it possible to mix flaps with ailerons to increase my roll rate.
Yes, just make a P-mix to do it. The mix should be AIL > LFL with the appropriate rate and switch settings.

If it is possible I would like a hint on switches to use. I know it is an individual thing, but if I have a starting hint I can then change if necessary
On the DX18 usually switch B is the primary switch to select Launch and Land (Launch in pos 0, Land in Pos 2). In Pos 1, they then set up switch D to select Cruise, Thermal and Speed. Also, the throttle stick is set to the Priority Switch and is active in Pos 2 (ie, pulled close to you) to put it into Land mode.

Andy
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
scwest

ORIGINAL: allans

As soon as the jr users start to realize that ther new comunications protocal is not backwards compatable - they will all find a home a spectrum
DMSS does not support anything but DMSS- nor DSM2 or DSMX . A new Tx will mean all new RX as well.
That is a big hurdle to get over for not a lot of benefit I can see .
I've owned a JR 9303, 9503 and now an 11X. I never had to send one of them back to HH for a product recall as I did my DX6i and DX8. I have an interest in telemetry and am now evaluating the Spektrum DX18 and JR XG11. I initially had a similar sentiment to your own, however after some thorough research I am convinced that DMSS is superior to DSMX. I haven't placed my order yet, but I think that I will keep my DX6i for Spektrum BNF compatibility (park flyers) and purchase a DMSS system for my larger planks and helis. There was a time when we gave up our crystal-based receivers for DSM, so this may be just another one of those steps toward better technology. Time will tell.

scw
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
duworm

electricpeat, the link below is to a template and guide for a six servo sailplane. check it out. it may prove worthwhile for your project.

sherman knight
team horrizon hobby air

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1671026&page=2 post #20
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 PM
ajay1

I have last week purchased a Spektrum DX-18 Transmitter and want to BIND 2 Spektrun AR-9300 Receivers
to be used in one model.

I have repeatedly tried but always either one of the 2 Receivers BIND -Never both together with the Tx.

Is it possible to Bind 2 Receivers together with the DX-18 Tx so they can be used in 1 model.

I do not want to use the X-Plus option of interconnecting the 2 Rx with a patch Lead-Both Receivers must work entirely independantly.

"
I have used a Spektrum Module on my Futaba 14 MZ for the past 4 years and this easly binds 2 or more
Receivers to the Tx for use in a single model without any problem.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajay1

I have last week purchased a Spektrum DX-18 Transmitter and want to BIND 2 Spektrun AR-9300 Receivers
to be used in one model.

I have repeatedly tried but always either one of the 2 Receivers BIND -Never both together with the Tx.

Is it possible to Bind 2 Receivers together with the DX-18 Tx so they can be used in 1 model.

I do not want to use the X-Plus option of interconnecting the 2 Rx with a patch Lead-Both Receivers must work entirely independantly.

''
I have used a Spektrum Module on my Futaba 14 MZ for the past 4 years and this easly binds 2 or more
Receivers to the Tx for use in a single model without any problem.
Bind to one Rx and then to the next (one after the other). They must both be either DSM2 or DSMX. One will operate if the other fails, but both share the same number of channels (If you connect an Aileron servo, for example, to the Aileron channel on one Rx and connect another Aileron servo to the Aileron channel on the other Rx, they will both respond to the Aileron stick as if they were on a Y harness.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Xantos

I just got the new Spektrum DX 18 and was plannin to use it in a Skygate Skywalker.
The Skywalker is like a bigger Turbine version of the Multiplex Funjet .
The Skywalkermanualcalls for programming the control surfaces as Elevons.
I finally managed to get everything working with the DX18 , but in the main system menu after you select the Wing Type as Delta , It offers 2 elevon options :
    [*]Elevons[*]Elevon B[/list]I could not figure out what Elevon B was and the programming manual offers no detail on it.
    Has anybody tried the Elevon B option .

Xantos

Hide Signatures
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
AndyKunz

In an Elevon plane, depending on hinging, servos, arms, etc. you sometimes might need to swap the elevon servo leads. Elevon B does that for you.

You need to try Elevon (and often play with reversing). If that doesn't do it, Elevon B (and perhaps reversing) will.

V-Tail works the same way. Sometimes you need V-Tail and other times V-Tail B.

The only way to know which is to try them.

Andy
Old 08-11-2012, 02:58 AM
ajay1

To bind 2 Rx to the DX-18 two things are essential:First select the DSM2 in the Frame Rate page and secodly select a Frame Rate of 22 Ms also on the same page.
Now simply bind BOTH the Rx at one time with the Tx-
Done.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 AM
AndyKunz

What's really essential is to use 2 of the exact same class of receiver. I have two AR8000's bound to the same model memory, DSMX 11ms, and they both work just fine. One of them has a TM1000 connected to it and I get telemetry just fine too.

Andy
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
cjshaker

Which version of the firmware should be be using in the US? One of them is EN/IT, and the other was EN/DE/FR, if memory serves? They both appeared to be the same size.

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.