Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wanting to upgrade from Hobbyzone Champ

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wanting to upgrade from Hobbyzone Champ

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 AM
blindseal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to upgrade from Hobbyzone Champ

Hello! I am looking to upgrade from the hobbyzone champ. I've found two that I like, but I need recommendations on things like receivers and transmitters. I would like retracts and aireloins, and twin engines, unless that's a bad idea. Here are the two I like:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a78-b-6...-blue-arf.html
and
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html
Old 09-30-2016, 06:20 AM
jetmech05

If the Champ is your first airplane you aren't ready for a twin.
There is so much drag from that second engine you must have good throttle management skills. If you get low and slow it must be throttle you go for instinctly not elevator.
Rudder skill will be a big plus
Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok with what you want. For recommendations info on your experience level is needed.
How long have you been flying RC?
Other than the Champ, what have you flown?
Indoor, outdoor or both?
More than 3 channel flying?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 AM
blindseal

Ive flown RC for about 4 years. Ive flown the champ, some helis and a friends drone. Only 3 channel though. Outdoor flying
Old 09-30-2016, 12:39 PM
jetmech05

Why not get a four channel and fly that before you move on to twins?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 AM
blindseal

I get what your saying. Can anyone point me to a cool 4 channel? From what I can find, there aren't a lot that I like.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 PM
jetmech05

Try a 4 star 60 or a stick. Remember you're learning to correct the aircraft out of turns
Old 10-02-2016, 02:39 PM
blindseal

What is a stick? Also I looked at the 4 star, not a fan. A bit expensive plus all the other stuff I need. I'm not yet old enough for a job and get no allowance. I'll keep looking? Are there any good Cessna looking planes?
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by blindseal
What is a stick?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM8&P=ML
The parts are also available separately for those unfixable "oops" moments.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:11 PM
blindseal

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM8&P=ML
The parts are also available separately for those unfixable "oops" moments.
ok then I don't like sticks.. Still open to any Cessnas. Or maybe this? http://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ8200?...J7AaApWx8P8HAQ
Also, is the whole SAFE thing worth it? Edit: it is a bit big, and is quite expensive when not on sale. I may just get a Cessna replica. I do like the Beaver. It is expensive though

Last edited by blindseal; 10-03-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sticks look ugly but fly great. If the goal is to develop your flying skills, then get a stick.

SAFE is not a good investment, IMO. It can save your plane if you get out flying and are way over your head and panic, but a methodical approach to learning will prevent that situation from ever happening.

If you find the scale type planes more interesting, there are lots of choices for fairly docile and forgiving planes. The stick is still the best overall, but other options include a T28 (available in lots of sizes including small park flyers) or a 4 channel park flyer Cub. Parkzone makes a nice T28 that flies very well and has served as a second airplane for quite a few guys in my club. I wouldn't expect the same quality from the Nitroplanes one, but it's there as an option too.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:07 PM
blindseal

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Sticks look ugly but fly great. If the goal is to develop your flying skills, then get a stick.

SAFE is not a good investment, IMO. It can save your plane if you get out flying and are way over your head and panic, but a methodical approach to learning will prevent that situation from ever happening.

If you find the scale type planes more interesting, there are lots of choices for fairly docile and forgiving planes. The stick is still the best overall, but other options include a T28 (available in lots of sizes including small park flyers) or a 4 channel park flyer Cub. Parkzone makes a nice T28 that flies very well and has served as a second airplane for quite a few guys in my club. I wouldn't expect the same quality from the Nitroplanes one, but it's there as an option too.
Ok, I get what you are saying. however, I really do like the Dynamic Grand Cruiser, and for the money I'm spending, I want to like it. Is it possible to learn on it? If it's not a wise investment I won't, but I'd like to if possible.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM
jester_s1

I haven't flown that plane, so I can't offer any firsthand info on it. Just from the pictures, I'd expect it to be more heavily loaded than most sport planes with no self-correcting qualities. it might have some weird quirks too in the way it responds to control inputs or the way it stalls. It will definitely be faster, both in flight and in takeoffs and landings. I wouldn't go with it for a second plane just based on those guesses, but maybe someone who has flown it will chime in.

I'll offer this for what it's worth. I've told a good number of guys getting into RC about this mindset that I see in experienced pilots including myself. New hobbyists focus on the equipment, mostly on the buying. So the mentality is saving money to buy this plane or that plane, and because there is always a budget involved they want the shortest path to get the plane they really want. What they don't think of is being able to fly it once they have it. A much better way to think about it is as an ongoing process of building skills and having experiences. When you think that way, the question stops being "what plane do I want to fly next" and changes into "What skills or what kind of flying do I want to do next?" Add to that a mindset that this hobby is not a point in time expense but rather an ongoing month by month process, and you'll start making much smarter buying decisions.

So lets take your situation. You want to move on from a 3 channel beginner's plane to something fancier, faster, and more maneuverable. That's a good plan. And you like scale GA type planes. Cool. So what you need for the next step in your piloting skills is a plane that is maneuverable with 4 channel control but also forgiving if you flub a landing or sideslip it. You also need a plane that is simple to set up and doesn't need much maintenance (ie, no retracts, no flaps, single motor, etc). The classic "sport plane" is what you really need. You can work on scale like flying and aerobatics with it without having to deal with temperamental stall characteristics or a bird that is just too fast for you. It's an intermediate step for developing intermediate piloting skills. If buying a sport plane sets you back 6 months in getting the plane you really want, that's ok. You'll use those 6 months to develop your skills so that the twin or whatever else catches your eye will be in good hands. That's why the process thinking is so helpful. You buy planes that help you move in the direction you want to go, which means you will rarely make a bad purchase.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:43 AM
blindseal

Ok thanks! If that's the case I'll just get he Champ S+. However, I can't tell if it's 4 channel or not? Does anyone know?
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
jester_s1

The Champ+ is 4 channel, but I think it would be a poor choice for developing your piloting skills. If you just want a toy that's a little bit more capable that your current one it's probably fine, but a plane that small gets tossed around in the lightest of wind. Most of what you are paying for is the electronic doodads, which are designed to keep you from needing to be a good pilot. So what do you actually want? A toy that won't teach you much but will be fun to buy and will fly around in circles until you get bored with it, or a capable plane that can handle a wide variety of wind conditions and that you can practice fundamental flying skills on?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 AM
blindseal

Ok then what should I get? What's the difference between 3, 4, 5, &6 channels
Old 10-06-2016, 07:58 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Three channels = yaw pitch and power.

Four channels = full house, ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle (roll, yaw, pitch and power). Control over all axis.

Five channels = trouble. Concentrate on flying, forget the bells and whistles (learn to fly).

Six channels = what I don't know (scale features, wheels up and down, wing loading so high you need flaps for landing).

A trainer is what you get. You sound like you will learn fast soooooo no flat bottom wing. No ten degrees of dihedral. No gyros or self correcting electronics. When you make a mistake you want to see it and learn from it.

Off hand I don't know what to recommend because you are young and short of funds. But the local guys should be your best help. Save and go to a swap meet. See if one of the locals has some used stuff for sale.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
jetmech05

Are you a member of a club? If so is there a club member that can help you out.
A lot of times older members will donate equipment to kids to get them going
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
blindseal

Unfortunately I am not a part of a club. I wish I was. Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any used 4 channel trainers they'd sell to me? If not ill look around on ebay or something.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I am not a part of a club. I wish I was. Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any used 4 channel trainers they'd sell to me? If not ill look around on ebay or something.
Check Craiglist and similar local classifieds. You will often find people selling up and bargains abound.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM
krokodyl

You should be able to get a used trainer under $200.

A instructor REALLY helps, it will save you crashes and bad landings. Make sure your field or flying area is big enough for the plane you plan to buy.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately I am not a part of a club. I wish I was.

Blindseal a couple of facts that I'll bet you are totally unaware: First and I am betting you are under the age of eighteen because if yoy are, for you to join the AMA is totally free, nada.

Now since most fields in the country require AMA membership in addition to joining the local club. Some do also offer free membership to those less than 18 or a considerably reduced member fee.

Dude getting involved with a club and finding a "Mentor" will save you a great deal of money and frustration. And buy used Stuff any Stuff hands on and local that is the best chance for success. In Addition buying used already assembled airplanes the shipping often can exceed three times what you paid for the airplane.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM
jester_s1

Go to www.modelaircraft.org and put your zip code in to the club locator. That will show you which clubs are in your area.

We've made several recommendations of planes for you that would suit your purposes. But it's hard to make recommendations when we don't know your budget, goals in the hobby, or commitment level. Our recommendations to you will change drastically if you plan to fly giant scale warbirds (and have the budget to do it) versus wanting a toy to take out of your closet every week or two until something new catches your eye in 6 months.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:06 AM
blindseal

Ok everyone thanks for your great information. As I don't want to buy a micro, I don't have a spot to fly very often. So I'm going to wait a year or two so I can drive to local air fields or a school to fly. Thanks again for your great information, I'll keep this in mind!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:21 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blindseal, you've gotten some excellent advise here, but I'd hate to see someone with your enthusiasm wait for a year or two.

I'd suggest getting a transmitter that will serve you well later and use it now to fly a four channel BNF park flyer. By buying a park flyer it sounds like you will be able to fly without driving. That way you will develop some skill with a four channel airplane, which is essential to any step you take after that. Plus you'll have fun doing it.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.