Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels

Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM
kultakala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels

Hi all,

I had some rc models but this was a long time ago.
Now i plan to build an abrams tank based on HL with tuning parts and a modern control board like the clark tk-60.
I want to use all functions as easy as possible and so i would like to get a 8-channel radio with 2.4 GHz, but which one would be the best for a tank ?

I took a look at the product pages of all major radio manufacturer i could find and... its too much input!

Some of he ones i found and what looks okay for me are Graupner MX-16, Hitec Flash 8 or Radiolink AT10.

Can someone recommend a good radio and explain why this would be best ?

Thanks!

Regards,
Olaf
Old 09-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Flysky i10. Easiest radio I have, and I also have the 9X and 9XR Pro. It has a screen like a smart phone with a help section that's top notch. The radio will actually teach you how to program it. I use it with my Jagdtiger and couldn't be happier with it. It also has telemetry so you can see battery voltage at the TX, and also stuff like motor rpm and temp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPZFfLibb4

Last edited by Crius; 09-27-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:39 PM
kultakala

Flysky i10 seems to be very easy to set up indeed. And even 10 channels, thank you for the hint.

But i can not find any shop in germany (where i live) which has it, but i could get "Carson Reflex Stick Ultimate Touch" which looks for me to be the same, only labeled for Carson !?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:17 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Most if not all R/C Transmitters are for Aircraft and very few R/C aircraft have a sound chip which means that not many Transmitters have volume controls,
Your Tank will have a sound chip so finding a Transmitter with at least one rotary or slide control is vital,
Turnigy and Flysky Transmitters do have rotary controls and are available with 9 channels,
My own favourite is the Turnigy TGY9X but it is no longer available but the FLYSKY 9 is the exact same model with a different name and the receiver from one Transmitter works fine with the other,
Turnigy 9xrpro is the new Transmitter and comes with a good reputation.
Shop around for a good price.
Shaun.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:58 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flysky i10 is easy to use and affordable. If you plan to use this radio for other models especially aerial models I'd look to something a bit more dependable.
I use the spektrum DX8 and love it. Easy interface using a roller to scroll through menu options/settings. I use the flysky i10 for some construction r/c and haven't had a problem with it
just not sure I'd trust the quality with a $$$ price plane/heli high in the air at fast speeds.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spektrum-DX8-...kAAOSwFV9XyV5R
Old 09-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Crius

Can you expand a bit on that, Bret? Have you heard about anyone crashing anything expensive (or even inexpensive) because the i10 failed? I know guys that use it for aircraft and I haven't heard any horror stories, though I'm sure they're out there, as just about every product ever made has a horror story or two. I've often wondered what percentage of heng long RX-18 tanks failed to work out of the box compared to those that did. I've only got four RX-18 tanks but two of them were duds the first time round. But xenonproject was cool about the lemons and even sent UPS call tags to cover return shipping. Now I'll be thinking about RC failures for the rest of the night. I don't know if I should thank you or be ticked at ya, Bret.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You hit it on the head Gary with the Heng long comparison. I personally have only had one issue with a RX that would go in and out of bind mode during operation. No good if your 300 feet up in a plane or heli, wasn't concerned about replacing the model, more concerned about the sucker taking someone out. Took RX apart and found some shotty soldering. No biggie if on the ground though. Sure it was a 1 in a whatever anomalie, just left me a little more cautious on off brands. Same with the $10 orange box RX's from hobby king. Yea, lemons are eveywhere when looking for the best price or if your getting into something new and unresearched. I'm on my second set of gearboxes, a new servo, and a new hydro tank on my "entry level excavator." Price you pay for coming in on the ground level.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 09-27-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I can say I have a i10 and while I like it I think I can say I like the Turnigy 9x Pro more for the money:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=51442

The bonus is that you can get the open source code ( if you really want to get into it) and make it sing Lilli Marlene if you want that along with eepe
and a USB interface to the transmitter you are just limited by your imagination...

I'll be honest but I haven't looked into the OS behind the i10 but I'm feeling it's more of a one-off affair. I don't believe there's a flavor of open source
OS that will drive it - but ( disclaimer alert! ) I just don't know...

Systems I have are the
i10
Turnigy 9xr
Turnigy 9xr Pro
Trannis
Futaba 8UAF
Futaba 9 ZAP

I know I bubbled about this before and I was a lifelong Futaba fan boy until I was turned on to the Turnigy 9x and Fr Sky Trannis paradigms.

In the interest of full disclosure there's some modifications you need to do to the 9xr types to get them to realize more of their potential.
One of these is to modify and re-wire the transmitter module and antenna so it will pop off the box like a normal radio transmitter but this takes 15-20 min with a soldering pencil and Xacto knife..

On my fist Turnigy 9x I also soldered the USB interface header to the motherboard myself so I could flash the config ( model profiles) files and modified er9x open source. On the second 9xr xmitter I got lazy and bought the SmartieParts solderless interface board. The 9xr Pro eliminates the need to do this soldering and hacking...

My bigger tanks can easily go through 6-8 channels and I don't regret the choices.

And as for the IBU products I sell, the 9xr Pro is simply the Cat's Meow....

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 09-27-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 PM
kultakala

Thanks for all of your replies!
I am quite sure that i will never own a flying rc model and dont want to modify anything.

The Spektrum DX8 has only one rotary if i am right ? And it is almost the double price than the others.
The Turnigy 9XR Pro is (from my unprofessional view) quite the same as the I10, except the color screen of course. And in addition i would have to pick a tx/rx combo.

So, what would be the advance in having the 9XR Pro instead of the I10 ?
I mean just in the way of using it with a tank.

The throttle stick does not auto center, right ?
Is it possible to change that for an I10 for example ?

Last edited by kultakala; 09-28-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll of course always recommend the Taranis but it is not very user friendly. However, it offers TONS more features than almost 99% of most transmitters out there. Replacement parts are cheap and easy to install, build quality is pretty good, and the radio link is solid and should never be worried about IMO. I've had nothing but good experience with my Taranis.
The RadioLink AT10 is ok, but doesn't offer S.Bus which is good if you plan to fly later and the AT9 is also 10ch, has more features, and is cheaper. I have both as well and the AT9 I like much better. Both of these transmitters also come with an extra self centering stick as well which means you have a tank ready transmitter right out of the box. The programming is super simple, probably the most user friendly I've seen.
The i-10 is also a great radio as well though the receivers are kinda big. FlySky has a pretty decent radio frequency and offers IBus as well so you have that option instead of SBus for flight on some controllers. They do not come with an extra self centering stick and you will have to contact a vendor (I suggest www.ForceRC.com formally known as Diamond Hobbies) and ask them if they have a spare one to purchase before you get the transmitter. Otherwise the i-10 is great all around and is great for the price and has some of the best looks of any transmitter besides JETI transmitters IMO.
Spektrum is very expensive but has great customer service and parts. You do not get any special features with a Spektrum over another, but you will be able to keep it for a while and they do have trade-in options for later when you want to upgrade.

If it is just a tank model I would first see if you can get a spare gimbal for the i-10, if not then the AT9 or AT10 makes a good second choice. If simple is what you want then these two are great.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 AM
kultakala

Thanks for the detailed answer!
I checked where i could get a AT9 but it would be more expensive than the I10 so i think i would prefer the I10.
I also like the layout with the 3 knobs better, but thats not important.

English is not my native language and although i know what a gimbal is, what did you mean by "if you can get a spare gimbal for the i-10" ?
Sorry, but i dont get it

Are there any transmitters which have sticks where you can change if its self centering or not ?
I can remember that the graupner transmitter i owned (25 years ago) had this.
I never had a RC model since then... that explains my ignorance about the new stuff
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by kultakala
Thanks for the detailed answer!
I checked where i could get a AT9 but it would be more expensive than the I10 so i think i would prefer the I10.
I also like the layout with the 3 knobs better, but thats not important.

English is not my native language and although i know what a gimbal is, what did you mean by "if you can get a spare gimbal for the i-10" ?
Sorry, but i dont get it

Are there any transmitters which have sticks where you can change if its self centering or not ?
I can remember that the graupner transmitter i owned (25 years ago) had this.
I never had a RC model since then... that explains my ignorance about the new stuff
Luckily with Radiolink transmitters they come with an extra spring and lever so you can self center both sticks right out of the box. The install is very fast and simple and I've done it on both my AT9 and AT10. The i-10 however does not come with this lever and you will not be able to get dual self centering sticks out of the box. You will need to buy another gimbal to replace your throttle stick before you can have this.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spektrum/JR radios are famous for being easy to use. I've used Spektrum DX-8s and DX-9s, and both work great on all our rc tanks. Both have a throttle sticks that are ratchet OR spring return to center (you can change this by adjusting a screw without disassembling the radio and voiding any warranty).
Old 09-29-2016, 09:21 AM
kultakala

Spektrum radios are looking good, but are a little bit more expensive than the others...

Hard decision.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
You will need to buy another gimbal to replace your throttle stick before you can have this.
I'm working on getting some levers 3D printed, but if anyone here has a 3D printer let me know if you can help. I have a lever to use as a sample, I just need to get a few 3D printed.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by kultakala
Spektrum radios are looking good, but are a little bit more expensive than the others...

Hard decision.
I say this only as a RC'er myself and not as a vendor (we dont sell aftermarket transmitter anyways) I wouldn't get a Spektrum unless you have a specific reason for it. You can get MUCH more tanking equipment and such by buying a different brand and saving a few bucks. I personally have not had good success with any Spectrum radio myself and not a single one of my friends use them either. REMEMBER, that is just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are multiple people here that will swear on them, I just want a more reliable link to my expensive models, especially when some do 75mph+.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever brand you get, I suggest you buy one that is available locally, so you can get product assistance if need be. Also, I always get one that comes in a case, because that saves money down the road so you aren't forced to buy a case later.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I say this only as a RC'er myself and not as a vendor (we dont sell aftermarket transmitter anyways) I wouldn't get a Spektrum unless you have a specific reason for it. You can get MUCH more tanking equipment and such by buying a different brand and saving a few bucks. I personally have not had good success with any Spectrum radio myself and not a single one of my friends use them either. REMEMBER, that is just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are multiple people here that will swear on them, I just want a more reliable link to my expensive models, especially when some do 75mph+.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add a Spektrum Dx6 to the parade I listed above. I have all these systems because 1) I like gadgets and they're
relatively inexpensive enjoyment 2) representing IBU products here it's handy to have these so I can see how they work with the IBU.
I can't even remember which tank(s) I'm using the Spektrum in. The Spektrum has a good quality feel to it but they aren't inexpensive.

I actually like the look and feel to the earlier 9xr; the 9xr Pro not as much- bordering on glitzy as is the i10. The Trannis is solid as are all the Futaba but I'd expect that.

See for yourself:

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	systems.JPG
Views:	1493
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2183495  
Old 09-30-2016, 12:13 AM
kultakala

Hi Jerry,

Thats an impressive radio colection!
When i look at the photo i would immediately pick the spektrum just from the looks
The problem is you cant find any hobby shop (is that the correct term in english ?) anymore in the city where you actually can hold the stuuf in your hands.
Only chance would be to order multiple radios online to check for the "feel". I dont like that, to order multiple items and send the most of them back.
But otherwise its hard to decide just from the internet which one to choose.

So, what do you think about the i10 ? Despite the "glitziness" ? Is it also solid and technically okay (if you can judge that) ?

Btw, i have a thread open regarding control boards -> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...m1-abrams.html
As you are representing IBU, are the abrams sounds for the IBU3 the same as in the IBU2 ?
Waht would be your arguments to buy an IBU3 instead of the Clark TK60 for example ?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Tanque

Hobby shop is correct in English/Amreican.

You know I don't know the answer to the question of the Abrams sounds although I suspect they are similar; if Ivano is watching perhaps he could answer. I will try to experiment with that over the weekend to see if I can determine if they are different. I have been working with two of my desktops to configure the IBU3 and I think I'll set up my laptop as I can move it to the tanks instead of the other way around.

To be honest I don't have much first hand experience with the Clark product vs IBU. Of course I like the IBU's capabilities but I hear good things of Clark's products. I do have some experience with Tamiya's and in comparison there really isn't any. Tamiya is still the original standard, plug and play system that set the standard by which all others will be measured for years to come. IBU( and others) have greatly expanded on that standard..

As to the Radio systems. As I mentioned I 'grew up' with Futaba. My first system in 1974-5 ( I actually bought the system before I bought any model!) was a Futaba aluminum cased 4 channel AM system. I picked Futaba because of their servo selection. Now we pick systems for their configurability but since the servos are generally usable across systems thanks to more standardized plugs/polarities ( and that they are most all digital) servo selection isn't as key. Servos are still important to me as my systems not only have to work with the electronics of 1/16 but my other models as well. being able to quickly reverse, mix and change the rate and range of servo travel is a hot item for me. The current crop of systems are killer at being able to deliver that. in the old days to reverse a servo you had to either buy a reverse travel servo or open one up and rewire it....

From a purely appearance standpoint the i10 is the slickest, thinnest transmitter I have. As with the 9xr,. 9xr Pro, and Trannis systems the i10 has a USB interface but I've not read anything about anything other than chargers using it for the i10. I don't really know a lot about the software behind the i10. Once you have a pc based GUI configuration program to set up the system it is very difficult to go to a system where all you have are the buttons on the transmitter.....

Right now I just think for your money you will be hard pressed to beat the 9Xr Pro system. Someone previously mentioned we should buy a system with a case? When I purchased my Trannis I bought the version with the nifty aluminium case with orange "Trannis" script - it looks like a $20 case from a thrift shop but it is cool....For my most costly systems I purchased a Pelican 1400 which is all the case I'll ever need. There are a lot of options for cases for one's transmitter from inexpensive to quite costly.

If there are specific questions regarding the systems I have I'll gladly answer if I know the answer. If it is too technical regarding signal encoding, bandwidths and protocols I'll defer to others more knowledgeable

Jerry.

P.S. One of the things that we as non aviators STILL have to deal with is that 96% of all system software is geared to flyers. What do you hear when you power up an i10? A jet taking off... At least with the systems based on er9x if you want to rewrite the software to be tank - themed ( like that outfit in Austrailia ) you can do it. BTW the i10 has one of the nicer color displays and quite large..

Last edited by Tanque; 09-30-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Tanque

After writing what I did previously regarding the Turnigy i10 I did a cursory search regarding updates and connectivity. I see the system 's USB interface is used to maintain the sofware/firmware and use in a flight simulator but I've not yet seen anything yet like a developer SDK for that system.

Jerry
Old 09-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Tanque
After writing what I did previously regarding the Turnigy i10 I did a cursory search regarding updates and connectivity. I see the system 's USB interface is used to maintain the sofware/firmware and use in a flight simulator but I've not yet seen anything yet like a developer SDK for that system.

Jerry
Yes that is correct, updated via USB though it is not open source. I personally love the feel of the i-10, I think it was one of the most comfortable I've ever owned honestly, just without the open source option it really kills it for me However, the i-10 works great for tanks as you don't need a custom firmware anyways for any aftermarket boards. I think RCTA likes to pair some of his tanks with the firmwares but I'm sure it can be done with almost any aftermarket transmitter.
Do you use the TankER9x Jerry? I remember loading it for while but removed it due to OpenTX instead of ER9X. I found OpenTX a lot more configurable and user friendly, but then again I use the OpenTX Companion software to make changes so I find adding things simple like LUA scripts for playing music and such pretty easy.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Tanque
Hobby shop is correct in English/Amreican.

And you'll also see "LHS", which stands for "Local Hobby Shop"

I've had both the Clark TK22 and the IBU2 Base and I much prefer the IBU. It mainly depends on how computer savvy you are. If you're comfortable with using the computer to set up the board you might prefer the IBU3, but I would recommend the IBU2 or the IBU2 pro if you're like me, and computers seem to hate you. The IBU2 is as close to plug and pay as it gets in this hobby, and it's by far the easiest board to set up. Just one micro SD card holds it all, and it's really easy to change things like smoker settings and adding or removing track recoil.

With you being in Europe I would ordinarily send you to a guy in the UK to buy an IBU, but Jerry has been pretty helpful to you already and I do believe he can send just an IBU2 across the big water for a reasonable price. I personally get my IBU products from the guy in the UK, but that's mainly because I started doing business with him before Jerry became an IBU dealer and I tend to be loyal to the vendors that I start out with, but If I were brand new and looking for my first IBU, I would get it from Jerry. I'm pretty sure if you tell him what tank and if you want stuff like the track recoil active or disabled he might even send it all set up and ready to go, with the proper sound set. Of course, I'd try to scrooge him down on the price, and I'd be sure to play every card I could, like maybe an RCU member discount, and with some vendors I even get an extra 5% off because I'm so damned good lookin', but not all of us can qualify for that discount.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:47 PM
kultakala

I have no problem to set up a board via PC... essentially i am a computer guy
So i would prefer the IBU3 over the IBU2... as i would expect better sound quality (according to the description), volume control via remote (or has the ibu2 that too ?), dedicated recoil and elevation servo output (IBU2 has only elevation ?) and it has 8 channel support.

The Clark TK Gen2 Boards have support for Gun Barrel Stabilization, i really would like to have that.
Is this supported by IBU or other boards as well ?

The i10 is still interesting because of the display and comfortable setting screens in combination with touch screen.
But the display should be barely visible outside in sunlight, is that correct ?
There is the "new" Turnigy i-6s which looks very clean and really good. It has no color display but touch support and is very inexpensive.
It is advertised as 10 channel radio but has only a receiver with 6 pwm outputs. So the 4 additional channels are only usable via s-bus ?
I dont even know what s-bus exactly is (serial bus ?) but you have to have a similar device on the other end i guess.
So for a tank control only 6 channels would be useable, right ?

If i insist on wanting an 8-channel-remote, is that soft-headed by me (because 6 channels are more than enough for a tank) or does it make sense to have 8 channels or even more ?

The 9XR Pro looks very cluttered compared to the i-10 and even more compared to the DX8.

"The 9XR Pro is hart to beat for that money", that means in functionality ? What about the build quality, is it the same level as the DX8 ?
And the displays, how good are they readable in sunlight, if i-10, DX8 and 9XR Pro are compared ?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:04 PM
wright 971

Hi The turnigy 9xr if its flashed with the tank mode , you can operate all 8 channels via the sitcks 1-4 ch flick a switch then you can operate 5-8 ch cant find another radio that will do this at the price .

regards pete

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.