Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Where do I find brushless motor parts ???

Old 11-25-2016, 03:57 PM
schomper42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I find brushless motor parts ???

So here is my problem. Seems that when I crash my plane and I need either a new motor shaft or a prop adapter that screws onto the motor because its bent , its almost impossible to find. For example, my Turnigy Aerodrive D2836/8 1100KV had a rough landing the internal motor shaft broke off flush at the face of the motor . Turnigy is a big name and I still can't seem to find a replacement shaft for the motor . Why is it so hard to find replacement parts for these brushless motors? Is there a line of motors that you can recommend that parts are easy to find? Its shouldn't be that hard to find a part that only cost a couple of bucks then to have to buy an all new motor . Any help would be very appreciated . Thank you
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well most shafts are the same from brand to brand. I was using the shafts from Value Hobby for my Tacon motors. The shafts and prop mounts were the same.

Buzz.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:40 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bent and broke a few . I go to the local hobby shop and pick up appropriate sized piano wire and make my own. Also a lot quicker than waiting for something to come through the mail.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
schomper42

well that has me confused. Piano wire is not precision ground like motor shafts. Hoe do you put in the groove for the snap ring ? You must have a lathe ?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Flypaper 2

Measured with mics they measure 3mm as they should and they are tempered wire so as strong as the stock shaft
I do have a lathe but normally just use the drill press as I don't want to get grindings on the bedway.
I use the Dremel disc grinder and on some I just grind a flat on the back and use a wheel collar which I trust more.
Couldn't count the number of shafts I've made for my flying buddies.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 PM
schomper42

wow, that's pretty cool.I am a recently retired tool maker so I do understand all aspects of machining parts. Interesting. so you basically rely on the press fits and if you need to "hold" the collar you use a collar clamp . I just bought from McMaster Carr some precision ground heat treated metric shafting, 4mm and 5 mm . and I will see how this works out. I believe you are correct and this is actually no big deal as long as we can procure metric "precision " heat treated shafting . Thank you. I will let you know how I make out .
Old 12-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Flypaper 2

I used to work in an auto engine rebuilders about a 100 yrs ago where I learned my trade. Actually it was the late 50s early 60s. Later on I ran a small engine shop for 35 yrs before I retired.
Later Schomper.

Gord.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM
schomper42

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A LOT OF VERY GOOD EXPERIENCE. I was just thinking today. With this kind of hobby. It sure is helpful to have experience on how to fix things. a large part of this hobby that I really enjoy is fixing up a plane after i crash it and make it fly again. I am presently fixing a P40 that crashed badly , it will be a joy to watch it fly again.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 AM
Flypaper 2

That's nice about having an excellent club. We usually have about 90 to a 100 members. Everybody shares their own expertise. One fellow in electronics built a weather station on top of the clubhouse. Tells temp and windspeed at the field. I help the guys with the gas and glow engines. Another cuts the grass and clears the land with our tractor. The guys in construction built the clubhouse many yrs ago.And on and on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0232.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2192295   Click image for larger version

Name:	0322.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2192296  
Old 12-05-2016, 09:40 AM
schomper42

I have a 4mm Turnigy motor with a snapped off 4mm shaft. Have you ever seen 4 or 5 mm music/piano wire ? Seems like the only metric music/piano wire I can find on the internet is 3mm and smaller.
thanks
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Flypaper 2

I use KS brand 5/32 in. wire it is also 4 mm or just a fraction under.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:58 PM
schomper42

yes its about .0012 smaller. I would think that would be way to sloppy and never make a nice press fit. Maybe I'm just being to fussy. If you do it, and it works , then I guess its fine.
thanks again !
Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Flypaper 2

After your last message I questioned myself, So I just measured two motors with 4 mm shafts and the piano wire with a set of precision micrometers and they were all the same size to the half thou. So I guess we're good to go.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 PM
schomper42

excellent !! you have convinced me to make my own shafts. and this whole discussion takes care of the internal thru shaft of the motor. But I have one other concern. Some motors use them dam aluminum prop adapters that screw onto the opposite side of the motor, and those suckers easily bend. rendering them useless. Thats fine if its easy to buy a new adapter, but like the internal shafts these aren't always easy to find. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. So do you have a motor preference for your different size motors you use? I've recently discovered a website called Value Hobby . They seem to have a good selection and seem to carry spare parts as well. http://www.valuehobby.com/catalogsea...q=gforce+motor
have you ever used GForce motors ?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Flypaper 2

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V450327
I use these plus some from HK. The BP Cheetah motors are sold by our local hobby shop which is very handy. I can peruse through the website for the details, then go to the hobby shop and pick one up. Very good quality and no problems with them.
Some of my bigger motors use those adapters. I havn't damaged one yet but I can see what you're saying.
Never tried the G Force motors.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
schomper42

This is great ! I never heard of Cheetha motors or BP Hobbies before . I love the web site and all the motors and great info provided !~ Not to mention , Finally a place that has spare parts to support the motors ! I will for sure give this place a try.
thanks much !