Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:19 PM
frijoles108

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i get?

I recently won some money in bets, and im looking to get a nice tank 1/16. What would you suggest? What is your favorite? What is the best?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:05 AM
Afrikakorps

Depends on how much you won.
Price permitting, Tamiya 1/16 tanks are an excellent choice. I have the M26 Pershing and would also like to get the KV-1.
Taigen are a bit cheaper and also very good. I like the metal upgraded Panther.
There is plenty to choose from. Pick what you like and then ask for feedback on a particular tank.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One big decision is if you want RTR or to build a kit. That'll narrow things down as well.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Do you want a really good tank? Do you want to build or ready to run? Do you want it to shoot airsoft bbs or be an infrared battle tank like laser tag.
Are you capable of fabricating, custom model building and doing mechanical work?

These questions will help determine what direction you should go.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by Afrikakorps
Depends on how much you won.
Price permitting, Tamiya 1/16 tanks are an excellent choice. I have the M26 Pershing and would also like to get the KV-1.
Taigen are a bit cheaper and also very good. I like the metal upgraded Panther.
There is plenty to choose from. Pick what you like and then ask for feedback on a particular tank.
Cheers
Afrikakorps

I do love a m4a3e8 with the 76mm turret or a traditional m4a2 sherman. I also would do a panther.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
One big decision is if you want RTR or to build a kit. That'll narrow things down as well.

I would love to build mine. I think that would be a good idea considering i eventually want to so custom tanks, so it would give me a good feel for the contruction and workings of them.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Do you want a really good tank? Do you want to build or ready to run? Do you want it to shoot airsoft bbs or be an infrared battle tank like laser tag.
Are you capable of fabricating, custom model building and doing mechanical work?

These questions will help determine what direction you should go.

I would love an infared tank, one i can build from a kit. I had in the past wanted, for my first 1/16, to build my own custom m1917 tank and i have the blueprints all made for it, but im concerned that building a custom tank off the bat would be a little advanced.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
TheBennyB

If you want to build an IR Panther, look at the tamiya Panther kit. You'll also need a 4 ch transmitter and receiver as well as a battery and charger. For IR battling you'll need to pick up the battle unit which is plug and play but does not come with the kit. You can grab the kit and radio from the AAF tank museum. Can't seem to find a battle unit on their site, but here's one on ebay.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...ductCode=56022

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...tCode=FUTK4200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-Hopup...AAAOSwu-BWP~SO
Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 AM
RichJohnson

Ok you seem competant for my suggestions.
im a shermaholic. Done or planning it all.
unless you use a tamiya electronic system either in a tamiya tank or a custom tank with tamiya electronics, you will need to purchase an after market control system like and ibu2 or a clark 22 board so that the tank can run the same IR code to play the standard tamiya IR battle. Henglong and taigen have IR but it does not work with tamiya.

two ways to build an ez8.
Buy a tamiya sherman and a urethane kit from nick aguilar that includes the rear deck conversion to an m4a3 v8 deck, a t23 turret with 76mm gun and new transmission cover. This takes some fitting to do but it makes a wonderful model when you are finished. I love mine very much and had some trial and error building it. I kept it 100% tamiya so i used a tiger recoil and pershing electronics because they have the v8 sound and recoil control, the stock tamiya sherman electronics have the radial engine sound and no recoil output.
the other option is to throw a clark tk22 or ibu2 board in it. I prefer the ibu2 very easy to set up with a pc and it drives a servo recoil or tamiya recoil.

another easier way to build an ez8 is to buy the taigen 76mm m4a3 or their kit(without electronics and gear boxes) and buy a tamiya sherman kit. Install the taigen hull unto the sherman chassis and make new fenders front and sides onto the taigen hull and wala you have an ez8 ez peazy. Add your own electronics weather it be the stock sherman tamiya system (no reocil and wrong engine sound) or persing electronics, or aftermarket clark or ibu2.

i have a build thread on the forum for my tamiya ez8 and several ongoing sherman threads involving custom models with ibu2 boards and servo recoil.

what ever you pick to build, we are here to help!

Last edited by RichJohnson; 12-05-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Start with the Tamiya Panther. You won't be sorry, you'll have a great tank when you're done and the build will give you plenty of experience for building other tanks later.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Ok you seem competant for my suggestions.
im a shermaholic. Done or planning it all.
unless you use a tamiya electronic system either in a tamiya tank or a custom tank with tamiya electronics, you will need to purchase an after market control system like and ibu2 or a clark 22 board so that the tank can run the same IR code to play the standard tamiya IR battle. Henglong and taigen have IR but it does not work with tamiya.

two ways to build an ez8.
Buy a tamiya sherman and a urethane kit from nick aguilar that includes the rear deck conversion to an m4a3 v8 deck, a t23 turret with 76mm gun and new transmission cover. This takes some fitting to do but it makes a wonderful model when you are finished. I love mine very much and had some trial and error building it. I kept it 100% tamiya so i used a tiger recoil and pershing electronics because they have the v8 sound and recoil control, the stock tamiya sherman electronics have the radial engine sound and no recoil output.
the other option is to throw a clark tk22 or ibu2 board in it. I prefer the ibu2 very easy to set up with a pc and it drives a servo recoil or tamiya recoil.

another easier way to build an ez8 is to buy the taigen 76mm m4a3 or their kit(without electronics and gear boxes) and buy a tamiya sherman kit. Install the taigen hull unto the sherman chassis and make new fenders front and sides onto the taigen hull and wala you have an ez8 ez peazy. Add your own electronics weather it be the stock sherman tamiya system (no reocil and wrong engine sound) or persing electronics, or aftermarket clark or ibu2.

i have a build thread on the forum for my tamiya ez8 and several ongoing sherman threads involving custom models with ibu2 boards and servo recoil.

what ever you pick to build, we are here to help!

What do you think of the taigen tanks? Are they of the same quality of tamiya?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Sky_HawK

Originally Posted by frijoles108
What do you think of the taigen tanks? Are they of the same quality of tamiya?
No, more like an upgraded Heng Long, at least with the metal versions. Plastic versions seem about the same, minor differences in electronics.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
pcsguy88

You want to build a WWII tank kit that is metal and can be IR? Taigen kits are probably a good place to look.

http://www.taigentanks.com/taigenkits/
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by pcsguy88
You want to build a WWII tank kit that is metal and can be IR? Taigen kits are probably a good place to look.

http://www.taigentanks.com/taigenkits/
Most of those aren't really kits, the lower hull, turret, etc are already assembled. Plus no electronics. Just a heads up.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:31 PM
RichJohnson

The taigen sherman is more robust than the tamiya sherman.
The taigen is not as finely detailed as the tamiya body but its pretty good.
i really do like the taigen shermans, i have a few that have been all taken apart to build other shermans that are not offered like small hatch (75) early models.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If Taigen would make one with HVSS I'd be a happy camper.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Afrikakorps

Well, I thought i would just through my 2 cents into the ring again( Aussie expression) and say that all the replies are very good.
Though I would have to agree with Crius, with a Tamiya Panther you will gain good building experience for RichJohnsons M4a3e8, an excellent build.
Good luck either way, and as Rich said "what ever you pick to build, we are here to help! "
Cheers
AK
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by frijoles108
I do love a m4a3e8 with the 76mm turret or a traditional m4a2 sherman. I also would do a panther.
IF built correctly, the Tamiya Sherman is as 'robust' as any other tank. The E8 suspension works flawlessly and there are several metal up grades available for it also and the lower hull can be 'tightened up' for a rigid platform. And for building different versions too. I know, I have 3 Tamiya Shermans and one has the plastic VVSS instead for an earlier A3.

On my way building a second Tamiya Panther lower hull... actually a Jagdpanther so that build is challenging and enjoyable enough and has many options to create several versions of either tank.

SO if you have the available capital, like to build, want a Tamiya IR ready/capable system and want to be in control right at the beginning as to what version you want, either kit is for you!

Jeff