Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you get your Jets to the big Jet Shows?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you get your Jets to the big Jet Shows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How do you get your Jets to the big Jet Shows?

Ok So me and my boy are thinking of flying to FL Jets next month as it would take way to long to drive from Chicago to FL.

I seen something about jet carrying case, is this so you can check them on the full scale carrers?

Is there a shipping servce you use?

Thanks V/R
Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Probably a better route would search around for someone who may have some some extra space in there trailer who is attending the event. Paying them would probably be cheaper and safer than shipping or trying to transport on a jet. Even if you had drive a little to link up with some.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Then there's all the support equipment you will need there....

May I suggest you go to Frank's show (i.e. florida jets) first and see how it is all laid out.

I decided after attending that I would only be a spectator if I were to ever go again.

All else aside from flying at big jet events (all the pressure to get up and land with 6 people all lined up with jets on and taxing etc....) Frank likes to set up on the crosswind runway and well, there you have it. You will be flying into a straight cross wind, not an ideal situation.

Look at all the florida jets video's and see for your self!

Frank is quite a character and he has been running that show very successfully FOR EVER! You get to see all sorts of cool stuff and you enter BVM country!

What ever you do, have fun!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Go to jets over Kentucky and just drive
Old 02-28-2017, 09:20 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by essyou35
Go to jets over Kentucky and just drive

We're going there too. Can't wait
Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive to all the show i attend.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

If you need any help while at the event find me.

Lots of new products going to be shown this year!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I would second Rav's advice - the first time you go to FLorida Jets, you should go as a spectator. That way you can relax and take it all in and see if its something you want to tackle in the future - flying wise.

He's right in that Florida Jets is one of, if not the most, challenging venues to fly at. A honking 90 degree crosswind on a relatively small runway with 5 guys on the flight line and lots of spectators is not the best place for getting used to flying at jet shows. Kentucky Jets (esp. early in the week), or even better, First in Flight (the runway is HHHHUUUUGE!) are much more conducive to gaining experience in flying at events...

Bob
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
mikes68charger

My boy is hoping to by a jet while there. Do the venders take orders?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

You will see multiple jets READY TO BUY!

And ofcourse vendors take orders!

Many are going and may even give you free shipping if you pick it up there.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also if you fly there, make sure you have a plane that carries a lot of fuel and land with a lot of reserve. For whatever reason, I have found that getting back on the ground there can be an ordeal. I have not been in many years, but from maybe 1997 (?) to 2005 we went every year. It was more like a trade show for us from JetCat USA.

We took planes there every way known, flew them on airlines and then rented vans, shipped the stuff FedEx and then on trucks to Frank, and finally paid different people to drive them. All of it was a hassle and a half.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by gunradd
If you need any help while at the event find me.

Lots of new products going to be shown this year!

Thanks, that is why you are a Rock Star! We got our tickets last night $230 round trip, crazy cheap, cant wait!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I would second Rav's advice - the first time you go to FLorida Jets, you should go as a spectator. That way you can relax and take it all in and see if its something you want to tackle in the future - flying wise.

He's right in that Florida Jets is one of, if not the most, challenging venues to fly at. A honking 90 degree crosswind on a relatively small runway with 5 guys on the flight line and lots of spectators is not the best place for getting used to flying at jet shows. Kentucky Jets (esp. early in the week), or even better, First in Flight (the runway is HHHHUUUUGE!) are much more conducive to gaining experience in flying at events...

Bob

Thanks, I figured it would be a little tuff, I have been to KY jets 2 times now, Pulse I compete in NASA Scale contest were we usely have 3-4 in the air at one time, so Im used to that, but Ill be honest, 90% of the guys are flying war birds and im the only one fly a turbine.

I guess your right, spectator it is this time.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Thanks, I figured it would be a little tuff, I have been to KY jets 2 times now, Pulse I compete in NASA Scale contest were we usely have 3-4 in the air at one time, so Im used to that, but Ill be honest, 90% of the guys are flying war birds and im the only one fly a turbine.

I guess your right, spectator it is this time.
Oh, OK, I have not met you at Kentucky Jets - at least I don't think I have... Maybe this year - look me up at the JPO banner...

Were you at Kentucky Jets last year on that day we had about an 80 degree crosswind at 15 knots? That was equivalent to a *good* day at Florida Jets - it can be windier!

Also what Matt said above is true as well, but that's true at Kentucky Jets or FIF sometimes on Friday and Saturday too.

Bob
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yep and as long as I've been shooting pictures at that event it always seems to be blowing IN and not out!!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Frank likes to set up on the crosswind runway
You say that as if there is another option there....I agree the crosswind sucks, but it's not like they choose one runway over another at that venue (and the venue is awesome otherwise).
Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Another thing is in Florida almost all year the wind around here blows east and west. Only a few months does it come out of the north.

I'm all good with it. Its made me a better pilot and helps prepare for top gun where you don't know what your going to get.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Ok So me and my boy are thinking of flying to FL Jets next month as it would take way to long to drive from Chicago to FL.

I seen something about jet carrying case, is this so you can check them on the full scale carrers?

Is there a shipping servce you use?

Thanks V/R

Actually its not that bad of a drive. My wife and I make that drive at least once a year to visit her family. We break it up into two days most of the time by driving from Sarasota to Chattanooga and staying the night and getting up the next morning and finishing the drive. We have on occasion just done the entire thing in one shot which is about 16 hours. I figure it would be about 18-19 if towing a trailer.

Its an option.

Patrick